Thursday, August 4, 2011

Growing up summer

Usually my summer's are made up of watching endless cartoons, swimming, eating candy like it's nobody's business and slowly cooking in a house without air conditioning.  Now here I  am, one blink away from being 20, and I realize that this is my first summer as an adult.
Age, surprisingly, has very little to do with it; it's mostly about prioritizing.  Now I work 8 hours a day, talk to my coworkers about their kids, watch Criminal Minds, eat salad and worry about making ends meet for the coming school year.
I love it.  Being a kid is wonderful, but I love growing up and discovering that the 9th graders aren't incredibly wise and old.  I love being the one to look at the 5 year-olds thinking, "they're going to have so much fun in high school."
I read the news, I ponder often, and I worry about everyone else around me.  Halloween is fun, but I won't get that sinking feeling in my stomach once it's over.  The big kids on the block are now the ones getting their first grandchild.  I don't regret moving on from high school; it was a blast, but now it's over. 
God can see my life on a small storyboard, and as they years go on I am privileged to look back and see exactly what he was writing and why.  I have an unlimited amount of hesitation and vasillation, but I'll move forward because there's a pattern of things just getting better and better.   

No comments: